For me breakfast is the most important meal of the day and plays a big part in my eating regime. This week, however, because a week of cold weather was impending and because in the UK, and especially here at Leathams we had pancakes on the mind, I decided I needed a change! Any excuse is a good excuse to cook up a breakfast sensation to beat the humble bowl of milk soaked shredded cereal!
Whilst in the development kitchen on Tuesday morning, I took the opportunity to use some of the liquid egg yolk that was left over from a recent presentation and prepared a delicious ricotta pancake with blueberries and manuka honey. It was a great tasting way to boost the mood on a cold Tuesday morning and start the day on a different tone. Once that pancake aroma crept into the office, I had a queue of hungry, salivating Leathams employees at the door, eager to get a piece of the pancake action too!
Pancake Day Breakfast Special (Ricotta cheese and blueberries)
- In a large mixing bowl add 250g fresh ricotta with 50g of CHEFS BRIGADE® liquid egg yolk and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon zest and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Finally, add 55g of whole wheat flour (stone ground) and egg whites, work the ingredients with a fork.
- Lightly grease a frying pan and cook 1/2 tablespoons of mixture, 2 minutes per side.
- For the cranberry sauce cook 100g of fresh blueberries with 1 tablespoon manuka honey and 2 tablespoons of water for 5-8 minutes or until set and slightly syrupy.
- Strain and serve, along with a handful of fresh blueberries with the pancakes.