This rustic pizza can be either served with the topping hot or cold! For a summer lunch just follow the instructions below or for an evening meal, place all the ingredients on to the base before placing in the oven.
cooking: 18-20 mins
preparation: 1-2 Hours
- Pizza Base: Either buy a pack of pizza base mix, or make your won using
- 90 ml warm water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 175 g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Pizza Sauce:
- *1 tbsp Garlic Infused Merchant Gourmet® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 220 g (7 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- salt and pepper
- *240g tub SunBlush® Tomatoes
- 1 packet Parma Ham
- rocket leaves
- Parmesan shavings
HOW TO COOK IT
- Put the sugar in the water and sprinkle the yeast on top – whisk until dissolved.
- Put aside for 10-15 minutes in a warm place until the surface of the mixture is frothy and then stir in the olive oil.
- Sift the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture.
- Mix together to form a dough and then turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until elastic and smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, make the pizza sauce. Fry the onion in oil for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the tomatoes, puree, sugar and herbs to the pan. Season then simmer for 20 minutes until you have a thick sauce. Leave to cool until the dough is ready.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C /400°F/ Gas Mark 6. Meanwhile put the dough onto a floured surface and knead to release any air bubbles. Then roll out to a 10” or 25cm circle and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Top your pizza with the sauce, spreading it near to the edge.
- For a cold pizza, cook the base for 18 to 20 minutes until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and top with the Parma ham, SunBlush® Tomatoes, Rocket and Parmesan shavings.
- For a warm pizza, spread the dough with the tomato sauce and then arrange the topping. Cook for 18 to minutes until the crust is golden and serve immediately.