- 200g Merchant Gourmet whole cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 25ml dark rum
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 170g unsalted butter
- 60g cocoa
- 80g plain flour
- Optional: raspberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C (150C fan-assisted)/335F/gas mark 3).
- Line a 20cm baking tin with baking paper, leave a few cm over each size for ease of pulling out the brownies once cooked.
- Place the chopped chestnuts into a bowl and mix in the rum, the vanilla extract and 100g of the sugar. Leave to soak.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over a medium heat then remove from the heat.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft white peaks, then slowly beat the remaining sugar in until you have a soft meringue. Then beat in the egg yolks. Once the butter has melted mix this in.
- Sift together in another bowl the cocoa and flour and then slowly fold this into the batter with a spatula, take care not to over mix. Then fold in the chestnut mixture.
- Scrape this all into the prepared tin and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes. The brownies should be barely set in the middle. Place the tin on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely. Lift them out of the tin by the baking paper and cut into small squares.
- For an added twist place a raspberry on top of each brownie and hold in place with a cocktail stick.