How to make pigs in blankets almost as rockstar as your turkey! Here I have used our Sundried Tomatoes and our Ready to use Quick & Easy Porcini Mushrooms, so you can be greedy and have at least one of each!
Meal Type: Starter, Christmas
Cooking Time: 10-30 minutes
- 8 large pork sausages, skinned, or the equivalent in pork sausage meat.
- Half a red onion, very finely chopped
- One slice of stale white bread
- One egg, whisked
- 12 slices of parma ham/ prosciutto/ unsmoked streaky bacon
- Black pepper
- 12 4-6” wooden skewers, soaked in cold water.
- Then half will have:
- 4-5 sundried tomatoes, from a pouch of ready to use Merchant Gourmet sundried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 tbsp Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Half a pouch of quick and easy Merchant Gourmet quick and easy porcini mushrooms, chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp Fresh thyme, chopped
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage meat, breadcrumbs, egg and red onion thoroughly and season with black pepper (you won’t need salt here as there is usually enough in the sausage meat and tomatoes)
Then separate into half and put one half in another bowl.
Add the rosemary and tomatoes in one and the thyme and mushrooms in the other, and mix thoroughly.
- Divide each bowl of mixture into six balls and carefully shape each around a pre-soaked wooden skewer, a bit like a very posh mini doner kebab, then wrap each kofta in one slice of prosciutto. This can be a bit fiddly at first but do persevere as they look amazing once done!
- Once you have all twelve koftas ready, you can wrap and freeze at this stage, or place on a non-stick tray on the middle shelf of your oven, or tuck around your turkey. Either way, they will cook through in 20 or so minutes depending on your oven, and should be nice and crisp on the outside, and firm throughout.
- You could also serve these as a meaty canapé- people quite literally go wild for them!