This salad is a quick, fresh and light way to kick start the New Year and use up the last of those leftovers.
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons (5 tbsp)
- 1 small mild red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 4 tbsp dried cranberries
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaped tbsp sliced basil, sliced
- 125g Merchant Gourmet Camargue Red Rice, cooked according to the packet instructions, cold, (but not fridge cold) warm or hot
- 400g leftover turkey, thinly sliced
- 1 x 80g packet of watercress
- 10 fresh walnuts, cut in quarter
- 1 small Cox apple, very thinly sliced
- Salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper
Prep ahead: The salsa can be made a few hours ahead of serving up to the point where you add the basil.
- Start with the salsa. Get a medium sized bowl. Mix the sliced red onion with the lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped chilli and grated ginger. Mix in the cranberries. Stir in the olive oil. Add the sliced basil then season to taste with salt, sugar and black pepper.
- Mix half of the salsa with the Camargue red rice. Season to taste then spread it over a large platter. Top the rice with the sliced turkey.
- Toss the watercress with the apple and walnuts and scatter them over the top. Finally, spoon the salsa over everything and serve.