This tasty hearty soup is great for using up leftover bits of vegetables, you don’t necessarily have to stick to those listed above and any vegetables will go really well; green beans, peas, mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, leeks, cauliflower, broccoli… they will all taste delicious just use in similar quantities.
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and roughly diced
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- Tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- Handful of shredded savoy cabbage (about 4 leaves)
- 250g Merchant Gourmet mixed grains
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil for drizzling on top
- A few fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- In a heavy based pan fry the onion and garlic in butter until soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots, parsnips and fry until the parsnip is a little coloured.
- Add the remaining ingredients bar the olive oil and fresh basil, and cook on a moderate heat for 15 minutes.
- Serve evenly into bowls and glug a little olive oil and a sprinkle of basil on the top of each bowl.