Cooking time:40 minutes
- 1 – 1.3L chicken or vegetable stock – fresh or good powder
- 70 g unsalted butter divided into 2
- 2tbs olive oil
- the white part of 2 large leeks, chopped finely
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 300g Merchant Gourmet Arborio rice
- 150ml white wine
- 100g parmesan, grated finely
- 5 cloves of black garlic, chopped
- zest of two lemons and 100 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2tbs crème fraiche (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the stock in a pan and have a large ladle handy. Keep it hot.
- In another pan, heat half the butter and the oil and add the onion and leek and cook gently until slightly softened.
- Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon, so that all the grains are coated in the butter and oil and everything is very hot without burning.
- Add the white wine and stir, letting it bubble and reduce, then start adding a ladleful of stock at a time, gently stirring in all the time and making sure that the grains of rice are in the liquid. As each ladleful is absorbed and the bottom of the pan becomes dry, add another ladleful.
- When the rice is al dente (about 20 – 25 minutes) and a grain split will reveal just a little speck of white remaining in the centre, add the garlic and the juice and zest of lemon. Stir well.
- Add the parmesan, the remaining butter and the crème fraiche if using.
- Check for seasoning. Do not stir too much at this point and put a lid on the pan, off the heat
- The risotto will be ready to serve in about 5 minutes.
- Serve in warmed bowls and decorate with remaining chives, as well as more parmesan if required.