Cooking time: 30 minutes
- For the pancakes:
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 50g butter, melted
- 250ml milk
- Oil, for frying
For the chestnut cream:
- *200g Merchant Gourmet chestnuts
- 15g icing sugar
- 175ml whipping cream, whipped
- 1 vanilla pod
For the chocolate sauce:
- 150ml water
- 200g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 25g sugar
- 25g butter
- Chocolate shavings, to decorate
- To make the pancakes, mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and cocoa together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg, melted butter and milk.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Lightly oil a frying pan and place over a moderate heat. Spoon a ladleful of the batter into the pan. Cook for 1 minute on each side. Repeat, until all the mixture is used
- To make the chestnut cream, put the chestnuts and sugar into a blender and whiz until smooth.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds. Add to the chestnut mixture along with the cream and stir well.
- For the chocolate sauce, bring the water, chocolate, and sugar to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Serve the pancakes with the chestnut cream and chocolate sauce. Decorate with chocolate shavings.