alternative christmas recipes, Butternut Squash, Chestnut recipes, Christmas Menu, Christmas party, Christmas Recipe, christmas recipes, Christmas time, Cod, festive feast, Festive recipe, Fish recipes, hearty fish recipe, Merchant Gourmet, Merchant Gourmet Christmas, Pancetta, seasonal recipe, xmas recipes
Preparation time -15
Cooking time -25 mins
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 500g butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, roughly chopped
- 200g Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts
- 150g Pancetta, cut into lardons
- 120g unsalted butter
- 25g bunch of flat leaf parsley, leaves picked
- 4 filets of cod, 150g each, skin on
- Zest of 1 lemon and 2 tbsp juice
- 2 tbsp water
- Pre-Heat your oven to 230C/Gas Mark 8, upper middle shelf. Boil your kettle. Put a bowl next to your cooker to drain fat into.
- Heat a low sided baking tray just large enough to hold the vegetables with 1 and 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil, for 5 minutes in the oven.
- Add the shallots and squash to the baking tray. Season with salt and pepper and toss them until they are well coated with the oil. Roast for 15 minutes, turning the vegetables once and basting with a heatproof brush. Add the chestnuts, a third of the butter and the bacon. Roast for 7-10 minutes more or until golden.
- Get a large frying pan very hot with 1 and 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil. Season the cod. Fry on the flesh side over a very high heat for for 2 minutes. Lower the heat slightly, drain the fat into the bowl next to your cooker, add a third of the butter and fry for a further 2 minutes, turn the cod then fry for 3-4 minutes until the skin is crisp and the cod is just cooked through.
- Put the cod on top of the roasted vegetables and chestnuts. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and water to the pan. Bring to the boil. Stir in the remaining butter and the parsley. Turn off the heat, season to taste.
- Spoon the cooking juices over everything except the cod skin. Serve from the baking tray.