Best Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and pancetta, Brussels, Brussels sprouts, christmas dinner, Christmas dinner recipes, christmas recipes, Festive recipe, festive recipes, Merchant Gourmet, Merchant Gourmet Chestnuts, Merchant Gourmet Christmas, merchant gourmet whole chestnuts, Th best Brussels sprouts, traditional festive recipes
- 400g brussel sprouts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, or turkey fat if you’re doing this at Christmas
- 70g-100g pancetta, you can use smoked or unsmoked (optional)
- 100g Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A knob of butter
1. Fill your largest saucepan with water. Add salt. Cover and bring to the boil. Put a small bowl of cold water next to your cooker. Put a colander in your sink.
2. Trim the sprouts as little as you possibly can. Cut them in half.
3. Add the sprouts to the boiling water. Cover the saucepan. Bring back to the boil. Take the lid off. Boil for 3 minutes or until the sprouts are tender to your taste. To taste one, lift it out with tongs and dip it in the cold water first so that you don’t burn your mouth.
4. While the sprouts boil, get a large frying pan, add the vegetable oil and get it medium hot. Add the pancetta and sauté for about 1 minute. Not to get it really brown, but just to cook it through. Add the chestnuts, sauté for a further minute.
5. Drain the sprouts thoroughly in your colander. Return them to the empty pan; put it back on the heat and sauté for 20-30 seconds to evaporate away the excess water. Turn off the heat.
6. Add the sprouts to the chestnuts and pancetta. Toss everything together, with some butter, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and serve