Aubergine, balsamic vinegar, fire roasted red peppers, French Cuisine, French peasant recipe, Healthy recipe, hearty recipe, Merchant Gourmet, Ratatouille, Roquito, Roquito peppers, tomatoes, traditional French, Vegetable dish, Vegetable recipe, vegetarian recipe, winter recipe
Preparation time – 20 mins
Cooking time – 3 hrs
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 100g Roquito® Peppers, Diced
- 400g Merchant Gourmet Chefs fire-roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs of thyme, plus the leaves of 1 sprig
- 2 teaspoons Merchant Gourmet balsamic vinegar
- 3 courgettes, sliced
- 1 aubergine, sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Merchant Gourmet extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Heat the olive oil over a low heat, add the onion and cook until very soft, but not browned (about 8 minutes), adding 3 cloves of minced garlic 5 minutes in. Stir in the diced Roquito®, tomatoes and juices, as well as the sprigs of thyme, and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated (10 mins).
- Remove the thyme, season to taste, and stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Spread the sauce on the bottom of an oven dish, then arrange the sliced courgette, aubergine and tomato on top.
- Mix the cherry tomatoes and remaining clove of garlic with the olive oil and thyme leaves, season and sprinkle over the top. Cover tightly with foil, and put in the oven for 2 hours at 140°C until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the foil, and cook for 30 minutes more – if the top starts to brown, cover loosely with the foil again.
- Serve with crusty bread and olive oil.