Cooking Time: 10-30 minutes
- 100g Merchant Gourmet Wheatberries
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced 1cm
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced 1cm
- 5 tbsp and 300ml water
- 1 small firm courgette, diced 1cm
- 500g mussels, washed and de-bearded
- 125g (half a punnet) baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 6 tbsp sliced basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Simmer the wheatberries in salted water for 25 minutes until they are just cooked through (they will retain a delightful bite) Drain them well.
- Get a large shallow pan. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and water. Cover the pan. Sweat over a medium heat for 8 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Stir twice during this time to make sure that the vegetables don’t stick. Add more water if you need to.
- Once the vegetables are soft, add the 300ml of water. Bring to the boil. Add the wheatberries and courgette. Bring back to the boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Add the mussels and tomatoes. Cover the pan. Boil for 3 minutes or until the mussels all open. Discard any that don’t.
- Sprinkle the basil over the top and serve straight from the pan with your pepper grinder on the side.