ancient grains, Black Garlic, Butternut Squash, delicious freekeh, easy freekeh recipes, Fit and Healthy, freekeh, freekeh and roast squash, freekeh recipe, Freekeh recipes, health, healthy, healthy eating, Healthy Food, healthy ingredients, Healthy recipe, healthy recipes, Healthy Salad, how to cook freekeh, lighter eating, low calories, low in fat, lowering cholesterol, Merchant Gourmet, Merchant Gourmet Freekeh, Merchant Gourmet Ready to Eat Freekeh, Moroccan Cuisine, Moroccan ingredients, moroccan salad, nutritious, pomegranate, Raz el Hanout, SunBlush tomatoes, SunBlush® Tomato, super food, tasty ways to use freekeh, things to do with freekeh, Vegetables, Vegetarian, ways to use freekeh
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 25 mins
- 1 tbsp roast pumpkin seed oil or vegetable oil
- 500g butternut squash, (half an average squash) de-seeded, peeled, cut into 3cm chunks
- 250g Merchant Gourmet Ready to Eat Freekeh
- Zest (removed with a zester) of half an orange and 3 tbsp juice
- Zest of half a lemon and 2 tbsp juice
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 125g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 8 dried apricots, chopped 1/2cm
- 10 SunBlush® tomatoes
- 1/2 a small mild red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 6 Black Garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 40g rocket (3/4 sliced, 1/4 left in pretty leaves to garnish)
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds (half a small pomegranate)
- Salt, sugar and raz-el-hanout
1. Pre-heat your oven to 240c. Position upper middle shelf.
2. First, roast the squash. Get a medium sized oven tray with low sides. Spread the squash into it an even layer. Toss with the oil, salt and raz-el-hanout (use as you would black pepper) until the squash is well coated. Roast for 20-25 minutes until the squash is lightly caramelised and tender.
3. Heat the freekeh according to the instructions on the packet. Tip it into a medium sized bowl. Mix in the citrus zest, citrus juice, ginger, and extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt, sugar to balance the acidity and raz-el-hanout to the level of spice you prefer.
4. In a shallow bowl, mix the baby plum tomatoes, dried apricots, SunBlush® tomatoes, chilli, black garlic and pumpkin seeds together. Add the hot roasted squash, fold it in gently. Season to taste.
5. Mix two thirds of this mixture and the sliced rocket with the freekeh. Serve the remainder on top with the whole rocket leaves. Scatter the toasted pumpkin seeds, pomegranate seeds (if you’re using them) and remaining rocket over the top. Serve at any temperature except fridge cold.